Preparing for a trip with Culture Smart!

When planning any trip, one of the first things I like to do is find out about the culture, history and traditions of that country. When the lovely people at Culture Smart! heard I was heading to Slovenia, they kindly sent me a copy of their ‘essential guide to customs and cultures’ for Slovenia so I could brush up! And I wanted to share with you my thoughts in Culture Smart!

What is Culture Smart!?

The book is similar to a traditional guide book, in that it points out the places to see and where to stay. As well as information on public transport and how to get around, climate, geography and language. However, the most interesting part of the book is the focus on culture, customs and traditions. Perfect for the traveller who really wants to get to know somewhere

What can you expect from Culture Smart!?

The guide books are handbag size, so perfect for taking with you.

The book is divided into sections covering everything from Land and People, to Customs and Traditions and Values and Attitudes.

The chapters are divided up further into really manageable sections, and the index means its really easy to find exactly what you are looking for.

I found so many interesting facts which I hadn’t thought about. For example, Slovenia has three different climates which can vary within only a few miles of each other. I will definitely be checking the weather forecast for all locations before leaving.

I am also extremely excited to try the traditional desserts of gibanica and potica, both of which sound incredibly delicious.

Was it a useful guide?

Even for a European destination, it was really interesting to read about the culture and values that makes up Slovenia. I feel so much more prepared and armed with a much better understanding of the country ahead of my trip.

As I am travelling solo, Culture Smart! has really helped me feel much more confident about dealing with unfamiliar situations when I travel to Slovenia.

The guide book gave a really interesting overview on so many aspects of Slovenian culture, making me want to research even more. I hadn’t fully understood the history of the country before and it feels really important to me to have learnt more before I travel there.

Are there other countries available?

Absolutely! Culture Smart! have guide books about nearly 100 countries, offering a different and detailed perspective on each country.

Make sure you pick up your copy before heading off on your next trip. Head over to their website by clicking here, to see the full range.

If you are heading to Slovenia, then this is the book for you. Get your copy here!

Blogger transparency – Culture Smart! kindly sent me a copy of the essential guide to customs and cultures, Slovenia, but all thoughts and opinions are absolutely my own.

This blog contains affiliate links, which will cost you no more.

Share:

12 Comments

1. September 24, 2018 / 10:09 pm

I have a copy of Culture Smart for Spain, which I read near the start of my time living there. Super, super helpful! Ooooo, can’t wait to read about about your trip to Slovenia. It seems to be getting more popular by the day, but I still think it’s one of Europe’s hidden gems (for now).

Cheers,

Alex | http://www.backpackingbrunette.com

• Charlie - Where Charlie Wanders
      Author
      September 25, 2018 / 2:02 pm

I have found it so useful! And also so interesting to get to know even more about the country and cultures before visiting.

2. September 26, 2018 / 8:10 pm

I’ve never heard of Culture Smart, but will have to try it out! I usually use the Lonely Planet guides, but they’ve been letting me down lately.

• Charlie - Where Charlie Wanders
      Author
      September 27, 2018 / 7:11 am

It’s so interesting! A different perspective and all about the culture and customs, so perfect for getting to know somewhere that little bit deeper

3. abbiejadewanders
    September 26, 2018 / 8:28 pm

These sound quite different to my usual go to guides from Lonely Planet 🌎 I will definitely have to have a look and see if they have any for my upcoming trip! Thank you for sharing ☺️

abbiejadewanders.co.uk

• Charlie - Where Charlie Wanders
      Author
      September 27, 2018 / 7:11 am

It is a different perspective but I found it so interesting. Perfect for getting to know the culture behind somewhere, rather than just where to go!

4. September 26, 2018 / 9:57 pm

Sounds like a great book to prepare for a trip. Although there is tons of information available online nowadays, I still love having paper books for travel guides.

• Charlie - Where Charlie Wanders
      Author
      September 27, 2018 / 7:12 am

I am the same! I love having a paper guide book. And I also love the collection of memories afterwards. Culture Smart! is great to get to know a country before you go 😊

5. September 27, 2018 / 5:56 pm

I love the idea of getting to know more about the country’s culture before you visit. These books seem very interesting and useful! Thanks for the tip!

• Charlie - Where Charlie Wanders
      Author
      September 28, 2018 / 12:20 pm

You’re more than welcome!! They are perfect for that before you travel

6. September 27, 2018 / 11:09 pm

That kinda looks smart! Internet will not be available everywhere. It is best idea to carry something like culture smart 🙂

• Charlie - Where Charlie Wanders
      Author
      September 28, 2018 / 12:21 pm

No absolutely, and it’s definitely good to have something to refer to when the internet isn’t available!